To: Sherril & Bill <photo-op@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: dealer question
From: Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org>
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 06:50:29 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Sherril and Bill,

I, in fact, used to live in Naperville, IL (60565) and worked part-time
in photo retail and had several conversations with George in the late
80's and into the early 90's after buying my first - and only - Leica to
date.

I always found George a little hard to get hold of but warm, receptive,
enthusiastic and, of course, very, very knowledgeble on Leica.  I just
found myself never being in a position to cut a deal for one reason or
another......mostly financial on my part.

You'll probably get George's answering machine when you call but he is as
prompt as he can be at returning them all.

My personal impression is that George Ury's selections may be a little
limited given his situation, but he deals in top-notch and top-quality
stuff only.

I believe he grades very conservatively and very fairly and his pricing
can't be faulted given the quality he deals in.

If anyone has ever had a problem dealing with with George Ury, I believe
they should go look in the mirror why.  If I had the need and he had the
gear, I'd deal with him in a flash without any reservations whatsoever.

>From my non-Leica part-time photo shop job, I referered more than several
people over the space of a few years to George and I never heard anything
negative after speaking later to those I had sent to him.  On the
contrary; I think I echo their sentiments as well:  He's a
straight-shooter.  He doesn't have a retail store 'per se' but given an
appointment, George will open up quite a nice selection of pre-owened
Leica to make one's mouth water.

He packs stuff for shipment incredibly well, I'm told.  If he advertises
boxes and cards, caps and straps and so on, you can take it to the bank
you'll get everything as promised with zero hassles.  I believe his MBG
to be very fair and standard for his trade and the merchandise he deals in.

George, if you're out here on the 'Net reading this, you might remember me
from PJ's Camera and Photo up in Glen Ellyn.  I was assistant manager to
Keith Larson and I also took several photo courses at College of DuPage
and came to you for help on several occasions.  My instructor over at COD
was Glen Hansen; I believe you two know each other professionally.  We
spoke of Leica often and your name came up in common - favorably, of
course.  (Glen 'caught' me, BTW, 'stacking the cards' on my final
portfolio in '86 in Photo 105.  I had just bought my Leica CL and shot the
last class assignment with it.  Compared to the Pentax K1000's and so on
the rest of the class used, you can imagine what mine looked like, Plus X
with D-76 1:1 notwithstanding!  Glen caught on in a hurry, took me aside
and told me to stay out of his department if I was gonna continue to be a
smart-*ss!  Who, me?????  :):):) I got the A!

Sherril, Bill, there's a lot of Leica interest in Chicago area, size that
it is.  Several large retailers (Colonial Camera on Burlington Ave in
downtown LaGrange, just south of the RR tracks), Standard Photo in
downtown Chicago......on and on and on.......and a lot of 'privateers' of
used Leica such as George Ury.

I'm sure no one will set a foot wrong dealing with him.

Regards,

Tom Hodge
Davidson, NC