To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica Desires
From: Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 16:06:33 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

I don't mean to start a religious war over lens tests vs. no lens tests.
I'm no optical authority. I'm sure that an experienced professionel
photographer can tell much more than I about a lens's quality just from
looking at pictures. And perhaps I need lens tests more than another
person does (I don't really do many tests, maybe 2 or 3 every 3 or 4 years).

But lens tests have helped me find out what a len's limitations are. For
example, I like to shoot wide open in low light without flash. If I find
such shots with a particular lens are fuzzy or soft, I like to know
whether it is camera movement or the len's resolution and contrast wide
open. Sometimes my wishful thinking biases my judgment about its optical
performance. After all, with the correct lighting and composition one can
take beautiful pictures with a bad lens.

I didn't start this thread, but was simply responding to another list
member's request for interest in lens testing. We might close this thread
here or I could move it to a more relevant *.photo.tech.

Michael Volow, M.D. (mvolo@acpub.duke.edu)
Department of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, NC
919 286 0411 Ext 6933

Replies: Reply from Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org> (Re: Leica Desires)