To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Lens Cleaning
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 23:59:06 -0700

At 10:59 AM 5/21/96, you wrote:

>Interestingly, in its literature, Leica doesn't recommend the use of filters
>simply to protect the lens, saying firstly that the extra glass could under
>some circumstances impair image quality, and secondly that a lens hood is
>protection enough from rain and fingerprints.  Also it says "a soft cotton
>handkerchief" can be used to clean the lens surface.  Sounds a bit cavalier,
>but there it is.  What say you?

Arthur Kramer has told about how he cleans lenses, and I'll try to remember.
Never, never use a cotton handkerchief unless it's be laundered numerous
times, and make sure it's truly cotton. Even then, you're treading on thin ice.

Arthur's technique is first blow of any grit, then rip sevearl lens tissues
in half, and roll them up so the torn end is lightly touching the lens
surface. Never apply direct finger pressure. Use a drop of cleaner
specifically for lenses. Put it on the tissue, not the lens, and move in a
circular motion. It takes a long time, but it works.

Rip some more tissues, and clean off the residue from the cleaner, and the
process. I use ROR mist, which is used by many reparimen It doesn't leave as
much residue as Kodak lens cleaner. And it cuts finger grease very nicely.
It comes in a little pump bottle.

Another thing: DO NOT - REPEAT - DO NOT use eyeglass cleaning fluid or the
impregnated tissues for eyeglasses. They will attack optical glass used in
lenses and damage them. I cannot stress that too much.

There are also supposed to be some kind of lens "pen" that works like a felt
tip pen that's supposed to be safe for lenses. I'm waiting or Mike Johstone
at Photographic Techniques magazine to get back to me on tests he's going to
conduct on them.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier

Replies: Reply from Edward Meyers <aghalide@phantom.com> (Re: Lens Cleaning)