To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica Desires
From: Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 11:53:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 May 1996, Eric Welch wrote:

> Pop Photo who tested the 35, 50 and 75 Summiluxes and said they were nothing
> speical. They're probably right about the 35 Summilux M, which is one of the
> oldest, if not the oldest design in the M Stable. But their tests of the
> other two lenses were way off according to people who own the lenses.

	If the 50 and 75 were better than the tests suggested at wide
apertures, this criticism makes sense because, although PP's commentary
didn't emphasize this as much as it might have, all three lenses were damn
fine from f4 down.

	If the lenses are better stopped down than PP claimed, they would
have to be even more exceptional than the tests suggest:  I don't think
that I have ever seen SQF (Subjective Quality Factor - the central part
of PP's rating system) ratings for other lenses of comparable focal
length that were as good from f4 down.  As I recall, the 50 was better
from f4 down than either of the Contax Planars, which were, I believe,
better than any of the Nikon or Canon offerings, and the 75 was better
from f4 down and nearly as good at f2.8 as the new Zeiss 90/2.8 for the
G-1, which PP said was the best 90 that they had tested.  The 35 was
also extremely good from f4 down and had a very small amount of barrel
distortion.  PP's criticism of the lenses was based on their performance
wide-open and at f2 and, sometimes, f2.8, which they claimed to be poorer
that that of their competitors.  Stopped down past that, there was
nothing to find fault with and much to praise, although PP's praise
seemed more restrained than it might have been.

	I am quite prepared to believe that the Summiluxes are better
wide-open and near wide-open that PP says, if that is where your friends
think the tests were mistaken:  I assume that they are not saying that the
results at smaller apertures were too poor!

Gary Toop