To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: (Fwd) (fwd) E Leitz unidentified optical device
From: Willem-Jan Markerink <w.j.markerink@a1.NL>
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 13:14:36 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <wjmarkerink@mail.a1.nl>

Found in sci.optics, perhaps someone can help this guy:

From: Jonny <jonny@bernia.dragonet.es>
Newsgroups: sci.optics
Subject: E Leitz unidentified optical device
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 22:11:19 +0200

--
                 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  -  -
    		 -         - - JONNY -  -            -

Please could anyone help me to identify an optical device that I recently
bought at a local flea market.

It was made by E Leitz   of  Wetzlar Germany  (no 5178).
I would say it is quite old, maybe 50 years or more.
It is shaped like the letter T.

The top of the T is aprox  60 cm long and this portion houses all the optical
equipment in a tube resembling a telescope of approx. 10 cm diam.
The tube is supported on a stand approx. 27 cm high.

At one end it has 2 eye pieces,when you look though one of them
you can see 2 scales, one calibrated 0 to 70, the other 0 to10.
The other eye piece reveals 2 half circles, one being brighter than the other.
The top of the tube has a hinged lid, inside the tube you can then see 2
tubular lens fitted to an optical block. This arrangment is aligned with the
2 eye pieces. At the other end of the tube there is a compartment housing a
low voltage high wattage bulb. External to the light compartment is a further
lens which is aligned with the 0 to 70, 0 to 10 vernier eye piece.
Underneath the main tube there appears to be a connection for
a flexable air tube or similar.
The whole thing seems to be of very good quality and precision.

I would be most greatful if anyone could help me identify this device.

Bye,

     _/  _/ illem    _/     _/ an    _/  _/  _/ arkerink
                     _/_/_/

The difference
between men and boys
is the price of their toys