To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: CLE
From: lynn vavra <hbedu014@dewey.csun.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 23:20:39 -0700 (PDT)

I own a Minolta CLE which many consider to be the second generation Leica
CL.  I've only ever seen it sold under the "Leica" section in camera store
ads.  Having said that, maybe someone here might be able to advise me as
to the feasability of a modification I'm interested in making on the camera.

The CLE has one drawback, when you take the shutter speed off Auto mode
(which is aperture priority) the meter doesn't function.  Actually that's
not totally true -- it works for -2 and +2 stops from the Auto setting
however any further and the is designed not to funtion.  If you want to
manually control your exposure, you must take your reading in Auto Mode
then press a tiny button near the shutter dial as you rotate the shutter
dial to select the desired -- then set you f stop.  A bit awkward, at
best... The CLE manual describles it as:

	"In manual mode, no LED indicators light when
	the touch switch/shutter release is touched,
	and the exposure will be made exactly as set.
	If you wish to have a meter reading for a
	reference, monitor your subject or scene with
	the camera in Auto mode before switching to
	manual mode.

This is awkward. Is there any way of overriding the meter cutoff funtion so
that the meter continues to operate whether you're in auto of manual mode?

Thanks

George (spouse of Lynn)