To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: CLE
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 09:30:30 -0700

At 07:02 AM 5/24/96 -0700, you wrote:

>Thanks for the information even though I not sure why it couldn't be
>done.  It seems that something touches something when you turn the shutter
>speed dial that results in shutting off the meter.  So why can't that
>something be altered so that it doesn't touch whatever it's touching!  Any
>way, I re-read my initial posting and boy, I was WAY TOO TIRED when I wrote
>it. Sorry for the stupid gammar errors.

It was such a short note, where are the glaring grammar errors? Don't worry
about it.

It's not that it's turning something off, but imagine why the didn't add it
in the first place, when they did put OTF (off the film) metering in this
camera. There must have been some major technical hurdle to overcome. I'm
sure it has to do with the fact that they'd have to come up with some way of
accurately measuring the exposure sepeartely from the OTF system (for auto
and flash exposure). Think about it, the only time the meter is really
working with a CLE is when the shutter has fired. It only gives somewhat of
a preview before the shutter fires.

I can only think of two cameras that use OTF for manual exposure. The Pentax
LX and the Olympus OM2 (and later bodies of theirs that have auto exposure).
The problem is, you have to have some way of setting the exposure before
shutter firing, and that probably requires a separate metering mechanism.
Why I'm not sure, I just remember this coming up when I owned an LX which I
traded for my first Leica. With the size of the CLE probably being as
minimized as possible, there probably isn't room for a separate metering
system. Seems to me doable, since there's no mirror to have problems with,
but I'll bet that's it.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier

Replies: Reply from JIMMY_LEOW@HP-Singapore-om4.om.hp.com (Autoreply Message)