To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: R Series Question
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 08:50:32 -0700

At 06:34 PM 5/26/96 +0800, you wrote:
>Hi ERIC, Thanks for the information. If I had known earlier I would have
>bought the regular 2X and saved some money for film!!

You have to remember that the reason the 180 Apo telyt was as good as the
350 mm lens straight is it is exceptionally better than even most Leica
lenses. Converter's always extract a penalty. A 2X sucks up to stops of
light. And that means shooting the lens wide open. It better be good.
Keeping the shutter speed up is also important to overall performance, so a
lot of factors have to be considered in the production of good images
besides raw performance of a lens.

>Any comments, by the way, on the 135mm R series?

Very nice, even wide open. Slight improvement to best performance at 4.0.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier