To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Mail order screw mount lenses
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 08:23:10 -0700

At 09:47 PM 5/26/96 +0100, you wrote:

>I do not know what kind of lenses these are, or their origin.
>Can anyone tell med if these lenses are worth considering for serious
>photography? I suspect they won't deliever Leica quality, but a 21 mm for
>$800 don't sound so bad either.

We had a very long, extremely heated (thanks to a couple of non-Leica types)
discussion on Compuserve about these lenses that ran for about three months
this spring. Those lense are crap. They are made by some nobody
manufacturer, and Adorama is counting on people thinking they will be good
because they fit on a Leica. Nothing could be further from the truth. They
are not worth owning, from what the people who said they had seen them
working were saying. You'd be better spending an extra $400 or so and
getting a used 21. You only buy a lens like that once (or twice) in a
lifetime. Do it right.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier

Replies: Reply from Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca> (Re: Mail order screw mount lenses)