To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Advice needed
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 23:23:56 -0700

At 02:44 PM 5/27/96 -0500, you wrote:

>I have a 100mm/f2.8 macro-R APO lens.  I am thinking of either getting a 2X
>APO teleconverter, or a 180mm/f3.4 -R APO lens.  Weight vs larger f stop,
>also 1:1 at 200mm 5.6.  How does the 100 with the 2X APO compare with the
>180 3.4, quality wise???

I suspect you need to ask a more important question. Like what are you going
to photograph and does it require more speed than the 100 Apo will do with
the 2x converter? It's 5.6 vs. a lens that's 3.4 but is so efficient with
light (according to Leica) that its t-stop transmits almost the same amount
of light as the t-stop of most 180 2.8s.

On the other hand, if speed isn't a major factor, then you might just as
well consider the 100 Apo with the 2x, because it will get you a HECK of a
lot closer than the Apo Telyt (which isn't known for it's close focusing
anyway - the 180 Elmarit focuses quite a bit closer with better
performance). So if you need a long macro, no question. So it must be more
complex, or you wouldn't be asking, would you?

But I would suspect for absolute performance, the 180 is the better choice.
Or better yet, the 180 f/2 Apo Summicron! It's even better! Just don't tell
us which bank you robbed to pay for it.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier