To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Lens cap for the M Summicron 35?
From: Greg Finn <finn@ISI.EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 12:57:00 -0700
Posted-Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 12:57:00 -0700

Once in awhile, you see one offered on rec.photo.marketplace and can
negotiate a great price.  These can be better deals than any that I
have seen in Shutterbug.  An example is $1400 for a mint, post-1990
production M6.  But you run more risk of course, since you are dealing
with a private party.  That is especially true for an expensive item
like an M6.  This worked for me, but I would be very wary unless you
can actually do the deal in person.

On the whole, I agree with the previous poster.  There are several
major dealers in used Leica rangerfinder equipment that have monthly
ads in Shutterbug (Chatterton, Tamarkin, Kuehl, Black ...).
Subscribe, check out the market for a few months and then start to
call them on the phone and ask what they have.  Usually, they will
have one or two used M6 bodies.  Mostly, they will be in mint- or Ex+
condition and cost about $1700 if memory serves.  From the serial
numbers you can figure out when a particular M6 was made, if you want
a recent one.