To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: opinions solicited -- telephotos for the R cameras
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 08:41:57 -0700

At 11:49 AM 5/31/96 +0000, you wrote:

>Could someone fill me in about the connection with the Novoflex range
>of lenses?
>They seem almost identical....are they?

Optically, yes. Novoflex used to make their own lenses, reportedly very
good. I remember some older Leica Photography articles where they used those
lenses. Now Novoflex (just got bought out by some other manufacturer I
beieve) just buys Leica's lenses and puts them on the front. The back end
has a focusing mechanism that works by squeezing a large trigger-like unit.
It's reportedly a good system. I never liked it that much, I perfer the way
the Leica lenses work. But that's a personal preference. The Novoflex unit
has a shoulder stock, not real close but similar to Leica's shoulder unit.

If you buy either, don't take them to war zones! They make the lens look
like a rocket launcher. I used to get a lot of attention at Pro Football
games with the Leica 400 6.8 because of the shoulder stock. Lots of guffaws
and jokes about terrorists.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier