To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: ASPH vs Aspheric
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 1996 11:38:41 -0700

At 12:03 PM 6/1/96 -0500, you wrote:

>I bought a 35mm /f1.4 ASPH and liked it very much until I took some pictures
>in the mall of a shop that had small christmas lights hung all over it.  I
>was shocked to  notice triangular flare on the lights near the edges and
>corners!! I shot it again and same result.  Bought the lens new with

That's coma, and is a common situation with most, if not all, high speed
wide-angle lenses. Stop down a bit and it goes away. Only bright lights at
the corner that are so small see to cause this problem with every wide angle
lens I've ever owned. Just noticed it with my EOS 24mm lens the other day.
It also happened, to a lesser extent, to my 35 Summilux R.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier