To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: HELP: Hole in M3 Shutter Curtain!!!
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 02:16:37 +0100

"Kamal M. Malek" <kmmalek@MIT.EDU> writes
>Other aspects of the CLA job were questionable too. I had the back flap of
>the camera reskinned at the same time, as a small piece (3mm) of the
>original material had flaking off at one of the edges. The result was
>horrendous. First, in the process of removing the old material, the black
>paint on the metal frame was scratched, down to the bare metal in one spot.
>Second, the material used did not match the original in texture (I had
>specifically requested that that part of the job only be done in case they
>could match the material!). Finally, the new piece of material was not
>centered in the metal frame; the material is bunched up on one side of the
>ASA reminder dial, and there is a gap on the other side. Now, keep in mind
>that this whole thing was done in order to remove what was a slight cosmetic
>blemish in the first place! I'm sorry for going on and on about what some
>will feel is a petty problem, but I have been upset as this outcome for the
>last several years, and I had to say it.

I think that anyone who claims to be able to service and repair Leica
cameras should actually be capable of doing so without the kind of
cowboy job described above, and would be interested to know the name of
the facility that provided the above "service". There might even be a
case for compiling a Leica service people list with both recommendations
and negative experiences.
--
joe b.