To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica fast ?
From: Hans Pahlen <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 19:55:19 +0200 (MET DST)

At 15.10 1996-06-03 GMT, someone wrote:

>>I dont still possess a Leica M6 and i have some questions about this mythical
>>camera :
>>Why do you say fast lens for a manuel lens ?
The rangefinder in M-cameras is very accurate, and fast to use. But with
tele lenses, any good AF SLR is of course faster.

>>How can you work quickly than an autofocus SLR at an high aperture ?
If you want to photograph sports or fast moving animals with tele lenses
-Buy an AF-SLR!

>>How can you evaluate the amout of light faster than an Electronic SLR ?
How fast do light conditions change, really?

>>I dream to buy a M6 but i fear to be disappointed by the archaism of this
>>Camera.
My advice is, buy a used M6. If you donīt like it, sell it. You will get most
of your money back. But take a good look on the Contax G1 before you decide,
as this is a more modern concept than the Leica M6, that you might like better.

>>What about the lack of Flash TTL,
How important is TTL-flash? If I made a living out of news photography I
would like
to have automatic fill-in flash, but as a hobby and travel photographer I
like pictures
with existing light better.

>>the painful loading of the film,
In my opinion, the M6 has better and more easy loading than Nikon F4 and N90!
I have had to reload these "automatic load" cameras many times (and lost
pictures).
When I load a M6 I know what I am doing!

>>poor accuracy of the shutter,
This simply is not true! If needed, I can also adjust the aperture in 1/2
stops.
I rarely use the 1000/th, and I have never in 8 years found an opportunity
to use the 1/8000th on my Nikon F4.

>>low synchro flash speed,
1/50th is enough for me, as I donīt use flash so much. In what situations do you
really need faster speed?

>>no mark in viewfinder for the circle of the exposure meter
>>(how can i measure the light with diff lens)...
Well, the area is relative to the lens you use. For me this is no problem.

In the the first place, you will have to decide if you want a rangefinder
camera (with the given limitations, AND advantages), or not.
If you really want a rangefinder camera, you should choose between an
AF-Contax G1,
or the MF Leica M6. Judged from your questions, maybe you will prefer the
Contax,
that has: motor wind and rewind, DX-coding, TTL flash, etc.
Why do I prefer the M6? Well, I do not like the small G1 finder and the
noisy rewind.
And I prefer the Leica lenses.

Regards Hans