To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica R 90mm: Elmarit or Summicron?
From: adl@sirius.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 11:50:53 -0800

>I'm going to buy a 90mm lens for my reflex Leica.  I'm trying to decide
>between the Elmarit and the Summicron.  The extra f-stop on the Summicron
>is tempting, but my impression is that the Elmarit is generally regarded as
>a "better" lens.  Is that really the consensus?  I'll have to think about
>the advantage to me of an extra f-stop and how much I care about the weight
>difference (and the $ difference).  In the mean time, does anyone have any
>advice or comments on these lenses?   I would appreciate any information,
>impressions, general ranting . . . anything.
>

>Kermit Daniel
>

>The Wharton School
>Universityof Pennsylvania
>Philadelphia, PA 19104-6372
>215 898-7148
>215 898-7635 (fax)

I believe the current 90mm Summicron is of an older lens design and that
the newest 90mm Elmarit-R lens is sharper than the 90mm Summicron, in fact
too sharp if used for portraits because it would be unflattering.  The 90mm
Summicron would be better for portraits if that's what you want it for.
Otherwise go with the latest 90mm Elmarit.

A. Dean Lee