To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Leica 90mm for CL
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 96 11:39 PDT

At 09:40 AM 08/06/96 -0700, Mark McCormick wrote:

>By the way I've been lurking for a while, just bought my first leica (a
>lowley CL) and am looking for a very inexpensive 90 for it, anyone?

Hi Mark!

First of all, there is nothing lowley about a CL.  I had one for several
years, and it made excellent photos. (Though for some reason, the
rangefinder failed every time it went on an airplane ride >2 hours.  I'd
have it fixed and it'd be fine until the next trip! Otherwise, perfectly
reliable for 10 years.)

I can't supply you with a 90, but from my experience with the CL, I think
you'll find the German made Tele-Elmarit-M superior to the Canadian made
Elmar-C, which was made for the CL.  The Tele-Elmarit was sharper, and had a
much better "feel".  The Elmar-C somehow managed to lack the silky
smoothness we all associate with Leica lenses.

Both are relatively common on the used market.

(Before someone yells at me for running down Canadian lenses, let me point
out that I am Canadian, and am very proud of the Canadian-built Leitz/Leica
lenses - two of which I own and love!)

If you should buy an older, collapsible Elmar 90mm f4 (or any other
collapsible mount lens), you must use Dymo (or similar) tape to limit how
far the lens will retract.  Otherwise you will damage the light meter and
it's swing out arm.  E-mail me directly if you need further help on this one.

Make Photos, and above all, enjoy!

David Young: youngs@IslandNet.com

Replies: Reply from James J Dempsey <jjd@k12-nis-2.bbn.com> (Re: Leica 90mm for CL)