To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Sunday's New York Times
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 08:45:06 -0700

At 09:21 AM 6/10/96 -0400, you wrote:

>those murals of the Pyramids being constructed.  Salgado gets pride of
>place in this survey -- they say that he is probably the best
>photojournalist working today.

I remember being at the Missouri Photojournalism workshop, where Rich
Clarkson, who at the time was the Dir. of Photography at National
Geographic, talk about Salgado, and he too said Salgado was the best
photojournalist working today. He compared him to W. Eugene Smith for
significance to contemporary photojournalism.

And this for a guy who always shoots black and white! His book "Workers An
Archeology of Industrialsim" is going to be a classic in the tradition of
"The Decisive Moment" by Cartier-Bresson and Kertesz's "Diary of Light." By
that I mean, a book you will never tire of going through.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier