To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Experts on the list. [was Re: Got my M3 fixed (finally)]
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 10:56:47 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <beamon@mailhost.primenet.com>

> >Put yourself in Don's place. He would be instantly targeted by us all
> >with all manner of questions about whatever we had on our minds. [ etc...]
>
> This is one of the most polite and respectable lists I am on.  For those
> that just joined, the recent heated discussion is not typical.  I would
> think that most everyone on here would have a great deal of respect for Mr.
> Goldberg.

Good grief, Mike. I said nothing about not respecting Don Goldberg. I
merely made the point that we would be a lot of work for a busy guy
who is constantly trying to meet customer's perceived service needs.
Please read more carefully what I wrote.

> I know of several other lists and newsgroups where people highly respected
> and knowledgeable in their fields participate.  On the audio lists I follow
> there are several writers for audio magazines.  On the Miles Davis list,
> one of Miles'  managers participates as do some very well known
> discographers.  On the Byrds newsgroup, Roger McGuinn and David Crosby
> (members of the band) both participate.  There are many other examples as
> well.

You mention a very few specific examples, Mike. Their numbers pale
when compared to the number of expert and/or celebrity people who do
*not* participate in Lists.

> We have some very knowledgeable people on this list.  It is quite possible
> that Mr. Goldberg could learn as much from many folks on this list as we
> would from him.

Sorta doubt that, Mike, but who knows? Don't misread me, again. I
personally would love to have folk of this caliber participate; I am
only attempting to explain why there is so little of it ongoing.
--
Roger Beamon,  Natural History Interpreter & Photographer
                          Docent, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum