To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Tamarkin's wealth
From: stocker@ame.gsfc.nasa.gov (Erich Franz Stocker)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 13:44:33 -0400

>I second that. I have had only good experiences in my dealings with Mr.
>Tamarkin's companies (one M6, many accessories, and two camera bags so far
>- but I'm still young ;-) In fact, I don't like buying from anywhere else
>these days. If he can pay $80K for a collectible Leica, good for him. I
>wish I had $80K to spend on my hobby.
>
>--
>Brad Reisner
>Manager, Technology & Development
>Book-of-the-Month Club / Time Warner, Inc.
>BReisner@bomc.timeinc.com

Well I'm not sure that any hobby is worth spending $80K for single
item systems.  Also, I thought Stan was in business and not a
hobbyist.  This means that he intends to resell the system he
bought and add his overhead, costs, and profit.  So, someone will
be paying $100K for his hobby. Certainly no professional photographer
could justify spending this for a single system.

The truth is that this $80K to ~$100K has absolutely nothing to
do with photography but just collecting.  A leica is some collection
is just a nicely machined piece of art.  Lens quality means nothing;
durability means nothing; use means nothing.  Leitz has simply
become an object d'arte.

Who cares!  I would wish that Leicas had no value as collector's
items. Then, those of use who like to use them could avoid more
of them and their lenses.

Erich

| Erich Franz Stocker         |
| TSDIS Project Manager       |