To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Kodak vs Japan Inc.
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 17:07:33 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <beamon@mailhost.primenet.com>

> The entire problem will evaporate in time, of course, once photographers
> actually LOOK at the sort of garbage Fuji produces.  Yecch!  Neon colours in
> films!   Gag me -- I'll stay with Kodak or, when I can find it, Agfa.
> Better colours and a LOT more consistency.

You're obviously citing your particular preferences in color, Marc.
That's ok, but then you call the competition's products garbage.
That will put you in conflict with an awful lot of highly published
photographers and those who publish them. Color is a highly
subjective quality that has no absolutes. Consistency? Wow! I'd say
that Kodak's record in the last couple of decades re: consistency is
anything but exemplary. The recent demise (and rightly so) of Lumiere
is only the latest manifestation of Kodak's slide in quality
control/consistency. I have the normal parochial feeling toward US
manufacturers, until they give me reason to stray, and I *have*
strayed.

> So, in the end, the Free Market will force Fuji to either stay in their
> protected environ (Japan) or to improve the abyssmally low quality of their
> product.

Quite true. So far, the vector of the free market's journey must be
giving Kodak fits. Yes, Fuji is an opportunistic predator, and I love
it!

Since I've got this written, I'm going to send it, in spite of the
fact that I'm acting incorrectly by replying to a post that was
admitedly "off list" from the beginning. Guarantee you, though, that
I'll not respond further regardless of what is posted in response.
How about rec.photo.misc for this one?
--
Roger Beamon,  Natural History Interpreter & Photographer
                          Docent, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum