To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Kodak vs Japan: new Ekta any good?
From: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 09:28:57 -0400

At 10:12 AM 14/06/96 +0100, you wrote:
>I wonder whether Kodak has given up on Kodachrome R&D because it can see that
>the market demand is for E6 process. This being so, is there hope in the new
>generation Ektachromes?
>Over here (the UK) a new pro-series Ektachrome range has just gone on sale.
>There is E100S (saturated - said to be like Fuji Sensia rather than Velvia),
>E100SW (saturated warm - more like Velvia maybe?) and soon a straight E100
which
>will be more pastel. I have read on Compuserve's photography forum opinions
>which say that E100SW is really quite good, and can be pushed a stop with
little
>or no ill effect.
>Has anyone on this group yet experienced any of these emulsions? Can you
give me
>any feedback on how good (or bad) they are? I currently use Fuji Sensia 99
>percent of the time.

I have been a stalwart Provia 100 user for the past couple of years.  Velvia
is far too contrasty for me (I print Ciba) and Lumiere just didn't compare.

During the past couple of months, since my dealer gave me a sample of E100S
and E100SW I've been experimenting and comparing them to Provia/Sensia, both
in 120 and 35mm.

My impression has been that in terms of grain, sharpness and color
saturation, E100S is quite comparable to Provia and somewhat lower contrast
-- a real plus for a Ciba printer.  This conclusion was bolstered by Georg
Lepp in his latest newsletter (The Natural Image, Vol II, Num 4) in which he
compares these films and comes to finding that pretty much echo my own.

I'll be shooting a few more comparison rolls soon, and unless something
comes along to change my mind I'll likely switch.  My major photo vacation
is coming up in a few weeks (north coast of CA) and I want to have made the
switch by then, if at all.

Michael