To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Tokyo Fish Market & 35mm Summilux
From: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 15:53:19 -0400

Last week I mentioned that I was traveling in Asia and hoped to get to the
Tokyo wholesale fish market to do some shooting.  Finally last Thursday I
did.  What an experience!

I had with me an M6, 35mm Summilux and 90mm Elmarit-M.  This is my usual
business travel kit -- small and light enough to fit in a briefcase, yet
versatile.  This time though I missed not having the 50mm Summicron along.
The 90 was just too long, so almost everything I shot was with the 35mm.

Even though I mainly shoot transparencies for Ciba printing I bought and
used Fujicolor Super 800.  I didn't know what the light conditions would be
like so I picked up the fastest film I could find.  No regrets.  I'd never
used this film before, but the results are more than acceptable and far
finer grained than any transparency film of that speed would be.

If anything, I should have used 400 speed film, because typical exposures at
ISO 800 was 1/125 @ f/2.8.  With the Summilux I was able to shoot closed
down 2 stops and this led to some very fine images.  In fact, I'd been
seriously considering getting the 35mm ASPH, but now I'm not so sure.  Even
the shots at f/2.0 and f/1.4 are great, and since this type of shooting
isn't my forte, I think I'll save some $$ and stick with the regular
Summilux.  It really is quite good.

As for the market itself, if you find yourself in Tokyo, it's a must.  Every
type of fish imaginable -- and some that aren't -- can be found.  Located
right near the fashionable Ginza district, it's at its peak between 5am and
6am.  By 6am the action is over so an early start is a must.  The auction at
5:30am is a must see.

Though hectic and crowded, everyone is polite and friendly.  I was able to
walk around shooting and no one minded.  Some, such as a fellow shelling
giant oysters with what looked like a sword, even turned around without
prompting so that I could get a good shot of what he was doing.

Afterward, if you're not up for a sushi breakfast at the market, you'll find
the 24 hour restaurant at the Tokyu Ginza Hotel a few blocks away welcome.

Michael

Replies: Reply from Fred Ward <fward@erols.com> (Re: Tokyo Fish Market & 35mm Summilux)