To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 50mm Summicron
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 11:00:26 -0400

The editor of RFinder magazine, Joel Tlumak, first acquainted me with this
situation by sharing with me a Japanese test of respective types of
Summicrons.  To put it bluntly, the current production Summicron is no mean
performer and is worthy of the Leica moniker -- but the rigid chrome and NF
designs are generally regarded by users as yielding more satisfactory
results, and this Japanese test quantifies this.   I do have a copy of this
report.  I'll see if I can dig it and post it to the List.

The long and the short of lens design since World War II in the US, Europe,
and Asia has been a dynamic concentration NOT on improving quality so much
as reducing production costs.  Many of the lenses from the 1930's hold up
quite well to modern designs and some -- the 1.5/50 and 2/85 CZJ Sonnar
designs and the various Voigtlander Heliar models -- are quite competitive
today.  But these lenses were extremely expensive to build, as they required
a lot of hand labour to grind, polish, and assemble those six and seven
elements.  As labour costs boomed in all countries from the 1950's onwards,
manufacturers became quite conscious of the need to reduce production costs.

Therefore, there has been a concerted effort -- pioneed, for once, by Leitz
and not Zeiss -- to use computers to reduce lens production costs while
maintaining acceptable quality.  Thus, the eight-element 2/35 Summicron
gives way to six elements, and so forth.  It's NOT intended to reduce
quality but, sometimes, that's what happens.

There's been a discussion related to this on the Rollei List dealing with
the changeover by most manufacturers from engraved to painted serial numbers
and data on the lens ring.  I have no current Leica lenses on hand to check,
but my APO-Televid DOES have engraved numbers.  As time goes on, engraving
is dying out -- costs too bloody much in today's marketplace.

I'll stick to my NF lens!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!