To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Mamiya M7 vs Leica M6
From: oguillemain@agora.fdn.fr (Olivier Guillemain)
Date: 19 Jun 1996 09:03:49 GMT

> Several people hve been posting about the relative merits of the Mamiya
> M7, the
> various Fuji medium-format raangefinder cameras, and our own Leica M6.
> First thought that occurs to me is this: why did Leica let Mamiya get
> away with
> calling its camera the M7? Won't this make life difficult for Leica when
> they
> want to replace the M6?

... and the Mamiya 6*6 is named M6 !!!

> Second, although I am tempted by the notion of a medium-format camera I
> have
> tried the M7 and found it to have a major flaw: the metering is separate
> to the
> viewing and taking systems. Thus it does not alter its angle of view
> according
> to the lens used: with the 43mm fisheye it is a virtual spotmeter, with
> the 150m

Indeed, it seems to be a really big problem
I've never thought about it.

> Also, I have used various MF cameras in the past and been disappointed
> by lens
> quality at large apertures - some, including a Mamiya C330 I once owned,
> lose
> illumination in the corners; others are just unsharp. Perhaps it's just
> too
> large a film area to cover without fall-off.

In a great French photo magazine (Chasseur d'image) they have testing the M7
lens and these lens received a very good grade

> Seems to me, if you want the ultimate in grain-free results 120 will
> always have
> the edge but if you prefer sharpness, 35mm may still be tops. Myself, I
> like a
> nice tight grain structure, provided the image is crisp and the tonality
> is
> right.

For you, what is the difference between grain and sharpness ? All
medium-format photos that i have seen, have the quality you describe. I love
sharpness and crisp images.

|         Olivier Guillemain          |
|         Responsable reseau          |
|  e-mail: oguillemain@agora.fdn.fr   |