To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Need advice on repair deal.
From: Dave Topper <topper@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 22:16:49 -0400

Hello,

My old 1960 M3 is in need of some repair and I'm a bit unsure of who
to go with.  I've investigated the following:

1)  Tamarkin NY:  they want $204 to clean, lube and adjust the camera
as well as repair a small problem with the shutter curtain sticking.
Apparently, the tracks need some alignment / adjustment.  The work
can be done in about a week and is warrantied for 3 months.

They claim to use "some guy in CT" who does their repairs.  I don't really
doubt Tamarkin's committment to quality work, but thought I'd get some input
from this group first as it's a descent about of cash, and I love the camera.

2)  Leica USA in NJ:  they want $280 for basically the same repairs and
will warranty the work for 1 year.  It will take from 4 to 6 weeks for
this work to be done.

I would say that my confidence is marginally higher with Leica, but that time
lag is pretty bad.

All these prices take into account respective taxes.

My gut is leaning towards Tamarkin.  I'd appreciate any input (preferrably via
email).  The camera has great intrinsic as well as sentimental value to me.
I would like to take the camera on a camping trip on July 20th (Anyone have
some good suggestions on packing it?  I currently use the original leather
Everedy case).  I'm also not fabulously wealthy.

Thanks all,

DT
--
Dave Topper (me)
Student of:  Life, Computer Music and Art.