To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Color Film Choice
From: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 09:51:55 -0400

Dick,

You mention looking for a replacement color film.  Fred Ward has commented
on his need for a neutral and highly accurate film, and has chosen
Ektachrome 100.

I've settled on Provia 100.  My needs in a color film are primarely
consistancy, low grain, high resolution and low contrast.  Provia excels in
all of these areas.  One of the reasons that low contrast is important is
because I print Cibachromes.  The plus of Provia is that while it's
relatively low contrast, it also has rich color saturation -- but not
anywhere near as saturated as Velvia, which I find artificial.

I've tried the new Kodak E100S and E100SW films and find them to be very
good as well.  George Lepp, who also favours Provia 100 has said in his
recent newsletter that he now prefers these new Kodak films and will be
switching. If Provia 100 ceased to exist then I would too, but I've become
really familier with its charteristics and will likely stay with it rather
than switch.  (I also like Fuji's transparent film cans.  They make security
checks at airports easier).

Regards,

Michael