To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Film Choice - durability
From: dkhong@pacific.net.sg (D Khong)
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 07:09:23 +0800

Hi list,

I remember that many years back Popular Photography featured an  article on
a comparison made on slide film durability.  Apparently there is a
difference between how long a slide can be stored (in proper conditions),
and how long a slide can be projected repeatedly before losing its image
quality.

The results  showed that Kodachromes can be STORED for a long long
time before losing its image quality but fades quite rapidly when PROJECTED
repeatedly.

Fujichrome (I think it was Fujichrome-100 film) was found to be able to
withstand repeated projections very well but could not match the Kodachromes
in terms of long  term storage durability.

It appears that you cannot have your cake and eat it.

Dan Khong