To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica and APS
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 12:53:41 -0600

>APS is a joke, and seroius photograhpers won't buy into it. It is
>significantly smaller than traditinoal 35mm. I like the idea of the
>cassette. Too bad they can't do that with reg. 35mm. But there is no way
>traditional 35mm is going away any time soon, and when it does it will be to
>digital. Not some new toy format.
>
>==========================
>Eric Welch
>Grants Pass Daily Courier

Eric,

Serious photographers are a tiny minority, which has limited economic
impact. It is true that 120 film is still around, mainly because there are
serious photographers. However, If APS is successful, then it may pose a
serious threat to 35mm. 120 film will survive 35mm may not.

I don't like APS any more than you do, but let's keep in mind that the 35mm
market economies are dominated by snap shooters.

When Ilford goes APS, we should worry.

Chris