To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Film choice: Durability...
From: James J Dempsey <jjd@k12-nis-2.bbn.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 1996 10:03:39 -0400

> Also, the copying is not expensive, because (a) the digitization is
> what cost money -- copying files on a computer costs very little, and
> (b) the digital storage that your photographs occupy will be much much
> cheaper by the time the next generation of digital media comes along.

Actually, at the moment this isn't true (even though it should be!)

If you look at Kodak's digital price sheet, they charge rates for
copying PhotoCDs *per image*!  I would think you would just put the
PhotoCD in the duplicator and push a button.

The price they charge is outrageous as well.  I think it is almost as
much as having an image scanned in the first place.

Sigh.  Hopefully they will get this right eventually.  (Or, more
likely, we'll all have the ability to duplicate PhotoCDs at home.  The
price for a CD-ROM writing drive with the ability to copy a PhotoCD is
about $1000 these days.)

                       --Jim Dempsey--
                         jjd@bbn.com
              http://frontdoor.bbn.com/users/jjd