To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 90 mm Leica lenses.
From: captyng@vtx.ch (Gerard Captijn)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 09:48:57 +0200

>     Hello y'all,
>
>        Since selling my CLs and all my CL lenses but the 28 M-Rokkor, I
>     have been putting together a M6 outfit.  Being unfamiliar with the 90
>     2.8s out there, I was hoping to get your collective wisdom as to which
>     one I should be looking for.
>
>        This would supplement the 21 3.4 Super Angulon, 28 M-Rokkor, and 50
>     Dual Range that I already have.
>
>        Your collective comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
>     Pablo Mendoza
>     pmendoza@ucsd.edu

>If you buy new, go for the Elmarit-M f 2,8/90mm, definitely better than the
Summicron f 2,0/90 mm (only a M3 ensures exact focussing at f 2,0, with a
M6/M2/M4/M5 you are at f 2,0 beyond the limits of the rangefinder).

If you buy used, ranking in terms of quality is the following:

1. Elmarit-M (4 elements/4 groups).
2. Elmarit (5 elements/3 groups).
3. Tele-Elmarit-M (4 elements/4 groups).
4. Tele-Elmarit (5 elements/5 groups).

The differences however in quality are small and only visible in direct
comparison at the largest apertures. If you want the best (also because film
quality improved a lot meaning that you need lenses delivering higher
resolution and contrast than in the past), buy an Elmarit-M f2,8/90mm,
current production. It handles very nice and I really like the image quality
of the Kodachrome slides made with it.

Gerard Captijn,
Geneva, Switzerland.
INTERNET PROVIDER: GROUPE VTX