To: ewelch@gp.magick.net
Subject: Re: leica and APS
From: pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 12:47:21 -0400
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

   From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
   Date: Tue, 09 Jul 1996 09:29:17 -0700

   We've lived with Minolta making them for years. The new 70-180 2.8 is made
   by Leica in Germany. That's all I'd care about if I was buying Leica zooms.
   Sigma makes one zoom. The 28-70. Panasonic must be making some parts for the
   other one, the 70-210 or whatever. It's still identical to the one Minolta
   made for Leica for years.

Actually, according to my books, the 28-70 zoom was discontinued
because of the ridicule Leica suffered at the hands of the press when
it came out at 5x or 6x the Sigma price.  If so, this would mean that
what are being sold now are old stocks.  And the 70-210 was supposedly
optically recomputed a couple of years ago, although it still has the
same number of elements in the same configuration as when it was a
Minolta design.

I think I got both of these factoids from "Leica Lens Practice",
although one of them might have come from the "Leica R Compendium."