To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #123
From: "PAUL COLLURA" <pcollura@epix.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 10:57:34 -0400

> Actually, according to my books, the 28-70 zoom was discontinued
> because of the ridicule Leica suffered at the hands of the press when
> it came out at 5x or 6x the Sigma price.  If so, this would mean that
> what are being sold now are old stocks.  And the 70-210 was supposedly
> optically recomputed a couple of years ago, although it still has the
> same number of elements in the same configuration as when it was a
> Minolta design.
>
> I think I got both of these factoids from "Leica Lens Practice",
> although one of them might have come from the "Leica R Compendium."
>
> ------------------------------
>
> From: Stanley E Yoder <syoder+@andrew.cmu.edu>

The new Vario-Elmar R f4.0 80-200mm zoom is reported by Color Foto  in its
latest issue to be nearly as good as the famed APO 70-180mm f2.8 Vario
zoom at a third of the price!!   If Leica outsources some or all of the
lens by assured that it still has to meet Leica standards of construction
and quality control.  All of the Japanese origin lenses had a much higher
rejection rate on inspection than the German made lenses.  It's unfair to
say that any of these lenses were rebadged Minolta or Sigma lenses.

Paul T. Collura
pcollura@epix.net