To: Leica Users <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: New 80-200-R...
From: Michael Hintlian <102144.2651@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 13 Jul 96 08:27:22 EDT

I'm confused about the thinking behind this new lens...it appears heavier,
slower to use and bigger than the predecessor...it also is reportedly sharper
and has a lower list price.  But what is the thinking here?

The 70-210 is a sleeper.  It weighs less than the 135mm f2.8 Elmarit-R (at about
720 grams), has focus and zoom on one ring, and is very sharp for what it
is...I've made 16X20's shot on Tri-X with this lens that really sing.  While
used for less than 5% of my work, I always carry this lens.  I'm concerned that
the successor will be slower and more cumbersome to use...it has two different
rings for focus and zoom but more importantly its considerably heavier (in fact
the new 80-200 is 45% heavier than the 70-210!).

I always welcome better sharpness, I go out of my way for it...on the other
hand, I feel I'm giving up too much of what works for me -- light weight and
speed of use.   Right now I'm not running out to sell the 70-210 to make room
for new glass.  Anyone want to talk me into the new zoom?

Michael Hintlian