To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica's USA Price List. Was: 70-210 zoom and 28-70 zoom
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 10:56:38 -0700 (MST)

At 05:22 PM 7/14/96 +0100, joe b. wrote:
>In message <1.5.4.16.19960714071228.189f962c@mailhost.primenet.com>,
>"Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com> writes
>>Bottom line is that selling only Leica to earn a living will result in a
>>"Maytag Repairman" like existence (outstanding exceptions noted that prove
>>the rule).
>
>This one went right over my head. Maybe I should have big hair...
>What is a "Maytag Repairman" and what is so significant about his
>existence?

Sorry about this one, Joe. I was being terribly parochial in this, making an
analogy that would, indeed, go right over the head of all but U.S. citizens.
To wit:

We have a line of large appliances (washing machines and dishwashing
machines, primarilly) made by a firm called Maytag. Their adverts on the
tele (see, I can speak British English) promote their sturdiness and low
repair frequency by portraying a Magtag repairman as the loneliest person
around. The adverts show the repairman sitting around drumming his fingers
and occupying himself with all manner of mundane tasks because he has no
calls to do repair work due to the low breakdown record of the machines.
Now, go back and re read my post and it will all come together.

Sorry again, BUT, I know all the U.S. readers knew, instantly, what I meant
and I *was* bemoaning a Leica USA practice.

     --
     Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
                               Docent:  Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum