To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica's USA price list
From: fortunko@boulder.nist.gov (C.M. Fortunko)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 23:08:14 -0600

Guys,

It may be well said, but is not scientifically correct.

People cannot generally perceive 5% changes. This is why we have a system of
octaves in music. Also, this is why we have stops in photography and why our
Leica speeds can only be incremented by factors of two. It is therefore
likely that factors of two in some other attribute (sharpness, contrast,
etc.) should be easily perceived. However, I do not believe that we can
easily see factors of 50% without deceiving ourselves. There is of course
one exception - cost.

I do not believe that people should be paying a factor of four for a 5%
increase in some quality-related attribute.

Contax G1 lenses cost about half of Leica lenses, but offer similar
performance, if we are to believe the popular press. However, they do not
seem to have the mechanical attributes of the Leica lenses. In fact, they
feel cheap.

Having said that, I am comparing the workmanship of a DR Summicron (15...)
with that of a new chrome Summicron. I must say that I like the DR Summicron
much more. I look forward to taking pictures with it. I am sure that they
will have a quality of their own and one that will be quite different from
modern glass.

Pax et Looks,

Chris