To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: The KFC M6
From: Fred Ward <fward@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 09:15:10 -0500

Bob Sperling wrote:

<        As to the lessening of quality in M cameras.  Frankly, I don't
see that.  As great as the M3 is or was, one would be hard put to say
that it is better in any meaningful way than the M6.  Any comments abut
price ought to be viewed in the context of inflation over the years.  I
really think that the M6 is probably no more expensive than the M3 in
1953.>

We could and probably will argue this one forever, but I will relate one
conversation and recall a posting on here:

Some time ago a friend at Leitz told me that the last camera the company
made with no compromises of any sort was the M3. He said there were no
plastic parts, no corners cut because of cost or fabrication
difficulties, and no shortcuts taken. He noted with some nostalgia that
such a camera could not be made now and would most likely never be made
again by anyone.

On this list some time back in the winter I think there was a list price
comparison made of Leicas from the 50s or 60s and today, with an
inflation factor built in. And the conclusion was that Leicas had risen
much faster than other prices. I am sure someone has that old message. I
will be interested to see if I recall the conclusion accurately.

Fred Ward