To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica's USA price list
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 10:41:05 -0700

At 06:02 AM 7/16/96 -0700, you wrote:

>offered. After that, I, too, will be in the group that gripes about R's not
>holding value like the M's. As long as perceived value is there in the areas

The Leica R system is not all that bad at holding value. I suspect they're
like Hasselblad. At first, when they are current, or recently discontinued
models, and when they have just been purchased, the price does go down. But
on Mint equipment, they eventually recoup their value and appreciate. Not
like the M, but that's because of mis-informed collectors, and buyers. Not
because the R system is inferior, especially the glass.  Like you said, it's
the percieved value. Hold onto the gear, the price goes up eventually.

>Don't think it has actually happened, yet. Last I heard, the IPO was
>scheduled in late Fall, 1996. Hell, I'm such a Leicaphile that, in spite of
>my feelings about IPO's for the average bloke, I'll probably buy a little,
>when offered, just to participate in Leica's future success or failure.

Really? I guess I'll have to tell my broker to buy some stock too.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass (OR) Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB chair

(D)inner not ready:  (A)bort (R)etry (P)izza.