To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica's USA price list
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 23:46:17 -0600

Bill,

I am sure that this must be true since it comes from such a "sofisticated"
fellow.

To be honest, I have a real problem with your statement. I am not a fan of
Japanese cameras. Somehow, they do not feel right. However, the Germans
produced some real dogs too. Look for example at the various Agfas and
others. I will also tell you that the Contaxes leave me cold. Wonderful
lenses, though.

My first camera was a pre-war, folding 6by9cm. I wish I still had it. It was
ergonomic, fun and not a Leica. The M3's were truly revolutionary. The first
screw-mounts were truly revolutionary. But what has happened since?

Marc James Small did not know the meaning of the IPO. The new Leica people
certainly know about IPOs. I have the sinking feeling, though, that they do
not know much about photography and do not wish to learn. I am sure that the
Leitz greats, Oscar Barnack, Max Berek, and many others must be turning in
their graves.

Best regards,

Chris