To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: computer-designed lenses
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 08:00:49 -0400

I don't have Rogliatti at hand for the details (I'm currently at the house
and the book is at the office) but my memory is that Leitz contracted with a
Swiss computer firm immediately after WW II to develop the computer-assisted
design of lenses.  Certainly, by the time the 35mm and 50mm Summilux designs
were done in the early 1960's, the bulk of the lens design work was
computer-aided.

Another factor here is the death of Max Berek in the early 1950's:  he was
the last of the real seat-of-the-pants designers (as Bertele was at Zeiss,
Steinheil, and Wild and Sauer and Richter were at Zeiss).  When Berek died
-- unexpectedly -- I suspect Leitz was forced to turn more to computers to
fill the gap.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!