To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Leica USA service
From: doctorc8@entertain.com (Henry Chu)
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 09:46:02 +0100

I know there has been some rumblings with Leica USA service, let me add my
story.  About five weeks ago I sent a 28mm, f/2.8 M Elmarit to Leica USA to
have the focus ring (footage scale ring) tightened.  I recieved it very
well packaged in box filled with packing peanuts; the lens was sealed in a
plastic bag sporting the Leica logo and was wrapped with bubble wrap.
Nicely done.  I checked the ring and it was without a wiggle--felt like
new.  However, when I pulled the lens out of the bag I noticed that the
front and rear elements were smudged with a bit of grease.  The worst
revelation was looking into the lens from the front.  The non-reflective
black paint on the metal portion holding the interior element had flaked
off showing shiny bare metal.  Where it was still present the paint was
bubbled and the second element had a patchy haze around the rim.
This experience and the previous post about the M3 and 50 Summicron led me
to wonder if "quality control" exists at Leica USA service.
Since I recieved the lens Friday afternoon Mountain time, I have not been
able to call the service department.
Eric, could you repost the Leica service department 800 numbers again?
I will keep you posted with regard to further developments.

Henry