To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica Optical Web site
From: Reinhard Atzbach <r.atzbach@wiesbaden.netsurf.de>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 19:03:01 +0200

The Leitz family sold the company about fifteen years ago to the swiss
company "Wild Heerbrugg", and the name of the new company became
"Wild-Leitz" at that time.
When "Wild Leitz" bought the english company "Cambridge Instruments",
they chose "Leica plc." (standing now for "Leitz" and "Cambridge") as
new name for all divisions of the new holding. The "Leica camera GmbH",
which moved to Solms at that time, is only one of them.
The former Wetzlar "Leitz"-factory is the home of other divisions of the
holding. I think they still have the right to use the name "Leitz", but
they use "Leica", because it is well known.