To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica Optical Web site
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 12:16:11 -0700 (MST)

At 09:43 AM 7/21/96 -0600, C.M. Fortunko wrote:
>Roger,
>
>I believe that you missed the point completely.
>
>Leica stands for Leitz Camera, as most of us know.
>
>I have no problem with the web site. I have a problem with their use of the
>name Leica. Why don't they use Leitz. I think the answer is obvious. Most
>people have heard about, but never seen, a Leica camera. However, Leitz does
>not have name recognition.
>
>This is what is wrong.

Companies buy other companies all the time, Chris. There's nothing nefarious
about it; they sometimes do it merely to get a better known name. Certainly,
the company who already owns the name may decide to do a sidestep to pick up
the name recognition for lesser known products. It's called business!

Besides, Leica has spun off from Leitz, and I don't care what they choose to
include under the name's umbrella, just make the cameras and lenses as good
or better than previously. If there was a camera that I perceived as better
than a Leica, I'd buy it - even if it was a "Fortunko"!
     --
     Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
                               Docent:  Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum

Replies: Reply from James J Dempsey <jjd@k12-nis-2.bbn.com> (What's in a name? (was: Leica Optical Web site))