To: gthrall@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: The "R3" (was 90 mm., 2 and 3 lug)
From: pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 18:14:40 -0400
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

   From: gthrall@ix.netcom.com (Glenn Wm. Thrall)
   Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 15:29:41 -0700

   The R3 then uses the "standard" modern three lug lenses? Is there a
   substantial difference between the R3 and the newer R "mechanical" SLR
   cameras?

Since I do macro photography sometimes, and often find myself making
exposures at somewhere around 1/15th sec, I appreciate the mirror
pre-fire that is available on the R6 and later cameras, which the R3
doesn't have.

All the R cameras from the R4 on accept interchangeable accessories:
motor drives, winders, focusing screens, eyecups, cases, right-angle
viewfinders, data backs, stuff like that.  If you use this stuff you
might prefer a later R4 to an R3 if you have any other R cameras.
R4's are only about $100 to $150 more expensive than R3's.

It's possible the R8 will throw all these interchangeable accessories
out, because they're going to need a different body to accomodate a
shutter that will do faster flash synch, and that new body could be
very different.