To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Adv: Is Your Web Site A Secret?...
From: Willem-Jan Markerink <w.j.markerink@a1.NL>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 23:14:39 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <wjmarkerink@mail.a1.nl>

On 23 Jun 96 at 9:17, Chuck Warman wrote:

> Does anyone know if a Majordomo server can be programmed to intercept and
> kill this kind of stuff?   Brian?

I have been pondering about that too.
*A* solution, triggered by the fact that I recently started a
mailinglist myself on IR photography, and am currently the 'backup'
EOS listowner, is comparing the subscriptions between the various
photo lists. If one new name shows up on almost all lists, you bet
we are heading for a spam. But linking all subscription sofware
belongs to Utopia, I am afraid....:-((
Another slick solution, one that I can not perform/automate on my listproc
system, is sending an verification message back to the
subscriber-wannabee. I recently encountered this with the organized
Listserv system, covering thousands of lists, with its own search
engine on list subject. I had to verify my address, by sending back a
specific command. It may be related to verifying the correct address, but it
also prevents mass subscriptions. Remember, one *can* perform mass
subscriptions, but not with a subsequent veryification process. Too
much trouble for the offender!
Filtering on message size could also prevent some of the worst
spamming, but neither would it have prevented the message at hand,
nor do I think that this can easy be incorporated in common list
software....at least not in listproc AFAIK.

--
Bye,

     _/  _/ illem    _/     _/ an    _/  _/  _/ arkerink
                     _/_/_/

The difference
between men and boys
is the price of their toys

<w.j.markerink@a1.nl>
[note: 'a-one' & 'en-el'!]

Replies: Reply from Brian Reid <reid> (Re: Adv: Is Your Web Site A Secret?...)