To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica Optical Web site
From: jbuf@ix.netcom.com (John Irvin Buford)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 17:18:37 -0700

You wrote:

>Didn't Minolta make the Leica CL and its lenses for Leitz back in the
good
>old days? It's all part of the multinational approach to reducing
costs while
>maintaining variety, quality and high profits.
>
>BR

Minolta built the bodies but the lens were built by Leica.  Even the 90
F4 minolta lens.  This is the only lens to be built by Leica and
marketed under someone else's name.  But, Minolta did build some of the
R lenses and you cannot tell them from the Leica built R lenses.  In
fact even Leica did so many modifications on the lenses after they
received them from Minolta there are able to say, by international law,
that they were built on Germany.

    But, the point is only interesting from a historical standpoint.  I
do not know of anyone who actually owns and uses these buikt by minolta
optocs that have anything negative to say about them.

John N3BVH