To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M meters
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 10:48:43 -0400

At 07:19 AM 8/2/96 PDT, ThomasP@nacm.com wrote:

>All meters were manufactured by Gossen and, frankly, seem a bit on the
>flimsy side; use off the camera is tricky as the click stops conferred by
>the shutter speed dial are lost.

This simply isn't true -- look at the side of any of these meters.  They
were ALL manufactured by Metrawatt AG of Nurnburg, the same firm who today
produce the light-metering circuitry for the M6.

All of the Leica meters produced by Metrawatt from the original LC60 of 1939
are tough, durable, and accurate.  They are all worthy additions to the
Leica system -- after all, Leica marketed them as an integral part, and
Leica would and will not sell something through its dealers which is of
lesser quality than the camera.

Leica never distinguished between the MR meter versions -- "MR-4" is really
street slang.  To Leica, these meters were always just MR meters wherever
the switch was located and both MR and MR-4 bore the same catalogue number
(14217 for chrome, 14218 for black, whether black paint or anodized).

The authorities consistently mis-state the saga of these meters -- Laney,
Lager, and van Haesbroek all have some annoying errors carried over one to
another.  A nice (German-language) article was published in  VIDOM (the
journal of Leica Historica, the German Leica society) several years back,
and I did a short piece on these meters for VIEWFINDER a year or two back.

One final note:  selenium, for all of its drawbacks, has a frequency
response range most closely matching that of photographic film.  It may be
slow and insensitive, but the readings it produces are more accurate than
those of later CdS or SPD meters.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!