To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Incomplete Serial Numbers
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 17:25:04 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <beamon@mailhost.primenet.com>

> I second Marc's opinion. Frankly, I think this is a Shutterbug
> thing. It costs as much to print the .... as it costs to print the
> whole serial number.
>
> I have also been guilty of this practice, but for no particular
> reason.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Chris

"Ballparking" the s/n for purposes of roughly establishing
manufacture date is Ok, but when the potential customer asks for the
complete s/n it should be immediately provided. To not comply with
this request, in a private transaction, raises suspicion of theft.

A dealer deal can be different. I just bought an R6.2 German edition
w/o Passport from Don Chatterton. He quoted an exact s/n on the
phone. The unit shipped was exactly as he said it was, sealed at
Leica, but was off by a few numbers in the last digit. I have no
problem with that as it indicated to me that Don had more than one
such body to offer, and probably shipped "my number" before the
computer was updated. Had the discrepency persisted into the
next digit of the string, I might have protested.
--
Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
                          Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum