To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M3 Upgrade
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 1996 00:23:04 -0400

At 10:55 PM 8/3/96 -0400, Bob Rosen wrote:

>When I returned my M3 to Leica for a cleaning about 15 years ago,
>particularly since it was loosening up and fungus got into the rangefinder
>optics, Leica NJ replaced the rangefinder optics with an updated design I
>never saw on another Leica. The rangefinder spot had extensions on the top
>and bottom of the rectangle as if to call the user's attention to the center
>of the area. Does anyone have a Leica with that configuration. I was told
>that it can indicate some focus information.

These depth-of-field notches were fitted to the last half of the M3 run from
1958 onwards (approx serial number 918000 or so).  They were a neat idea and
I don't know why Leica never repeated them after the M3 ceased productionin
1966.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!