To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: PX625 Alkaline Battery Tests: Observations and Questions
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 1996 22:02:15 -0700

At 07:22 PM 8/3/96 -0600, you wrote:

>However, questions remain. For example, why is the meter of the M6 one stop
>off. Could it be that it is not calibrated to the 18%, gray-card standard. I
>have heard that some camera companies do this to insure a higher percentage
>of good photos and, therefore, greater customer satisfaction. Clearly, more
>work needs to be done in this area to resolve this question. I have been
>brainwashed to believe that the M6 is an instrument. Therefore, I have come
>to expect that its meter would be calibrated to the 18% standard.

It's not off unless it gives bad exposures on film. Over the years, with
various cameras I've used, they seem to vary in what the readouts give, but
when you use them, they seem to give good (or bad depending on the camera)
exposures. I find that my Leica M6 gives me different readings than my
EOS1n, but in the end, by using its meter (and trusting it a lot more than
I'm inclined to) yeilds fine results. And believe me, shooting chrome as a
professional, I'd better be right on. And I am (when I have my brain
engaged. <g>)

Reading off a grey card gives "average" results. That all being said, I'd
say I wouldn't trust the sunny 16 rule too much. I rarely find a camera that
agrees with it exactly, but it gets you in the ballpark. Using neg film, no
problem, but slide film, it's not good enough.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB Chair

Replies: Reply from "joe b." <joe.b@private.nethead.co.uk> (Re: PX625 Alkaline Battery Tests: Observations and Questions)